Russian President Vladimir Putin has delivered an emergency televised address on Saturday night (NZ time) after the chief of the Wagner Group Yevgeny Prigozhin launched an armed rebellion.
The feud between Prigozhin and the military top brass came to a head earlier on Saturday when he accused Russia's military of attacking a Wagner camp and killing a "huge amount" of his men. Prigozhin vowed to retaliate with force, crossed the border from Ukraine and seized the southern Russian city of Rostov-on-Don.
Russia's domestic intelligence service, the FSB, has opened a criminal case against Prigozhin, accusing him of "calling for an armed rebellion" and has urged his own mercenaries to detain him.
There are reports Prigozhin's forces are now heading towards Moscow, the seat of Russian power, with little opposition at this stage.
In a sign of how seriously Putin takes the situation, he has addressed the nation, comparing the rebellion to events in WWI and warning those on "path of treason" will be "punished".
"We will protect our people and state from any threats, including internal betrayal. What we're facing is exactly internal betrayal. Extraordinary ambitions and personal interests led to treason," he said, according to a translation.
"Any internal mutiny is a deadly threat to our state, to us as a nation. It's a strike against our nation, our people. And our actions to defend the fatherland from such a threat will be brutal. Anyone who consciously went on the path of betrayal, who prepared the armed mutiny, went on the path of blackmail and terrorist actions, will take an inevitable punishment. They will answer to the law and our people."
Putin said Russia will defend itself and added the armed forces have been "given the necessary orders".
READ MORE
- What you need to know about the conflict between Wagner boss Yevgeny Prigozhin and Moscow
- Russian President Vladimir Putin says he's putting nuclear bombs in Belarus as warning to West
- NZDF's support continues as part of international efforts to deliver aid to Ukraine
- Increasing talk of 'war' in Russia worrying sign of escalation
"Extra anti-terrorist measures are now being implemented in Moscow, Moscow region, and a number of other regions. Decisive actions will be taken to stabilise the situation in Rostov-on-Don," he said, according to a translation.
"As a President of Russia and the Supreme Commander, as a citizen of Russia, I will do everything to defend the country, protect the Constitution, lives and safety, liberty of the citizens"
Russia's Ministry of Defense has appealed to Wagner forces to "safely return to their points of permanent deployment".
"Many of your comrades from several squads have already realized their mistake by asking for help in ensuring the ability to safely return to their points of permanent deployment."
The ministry added it would "guarantee everyone's safety".
In an update on the situation, the UK's Ministry of Defence warned this represents "the most significant challenge to the Russian state in recent times".
"In Rostov-on-Don, Wagner has almost certainly occupied key security sites, including the HQ which runs Russia's military operations in Ukraine," the UK's Ministry of Defence said.
"Further, Wagner units are moving north through Vorenezh Oblast, almost certainly aiming to get to Moscow. With very limited evidence of fighting between Wagner and Russian security forces, some have likely remained passive, acquiescing to Wagner.
"Over the coming hours, the loyalty of Russia's security forces, and especially the Russian National Guard, will be key to how the crisis plays out."
- Hits: 784
Latest Articles
- New RNZ-Reid Research poll: Half of Kiwis want defence spending to increase
- Washington wants defence 'burden sharing' from New Zealand
- Willie Apiata hands VC to minister in hope of veterans’ law change
- P-8a's worked overtime during nearby Chinese naval drills
- CANZUK: A Great Power of the 21st Century?
- Our defence budget under scrutiny
- Defence Force can't service Poseidon planes, sends them to Australia instead
- New Zealand not attending 'Coalition of the Willing' summit in Paris
- US allies alarmed by leaked group chat about attack plans
- Australia air force pilots also heard Chinese navy live-fire warning on radio
- Judith Collins: Testing the waters: Global focus sharpens on the Indo-Pacific
- New Zealand Defence Force proposing to cut hundreds of roles, union says
- Defence capability plan pushed back as tensions rise in the region
- Military robots and thinking trucks - the learning curve ahead for NZDF
- The future of warfare: Killer drones and AI decision making
- Samoa chooses the fate of the HMNZS Manawanui as salvors look for weapons and ammunition
- Showboat Diplomacy: Chinese navy mousetrap mission achieves Tasman objective
- Wayne Mapp: Will we invest in the capability to protect our Future?
- NZDF prepares medics for disaster relief amid severe weather events
- 'We'll keep our nerve': Winston Peters readies for Marco Rubio meeting
SP Poll
Latest Downloads
2024-11-08 |
Utilities |
![]() |
2023-07-02 |
Web/Web Browsers |
![]() |
2023-07-02 |
Graphics and Design |
![]() |
2023-07-02 |
Utilities |
2022-05-07 |
Utilities |